The Australian Government is building safer roads and a stronger economy by providing $3.157 million to fix nine dangerous black spots in the Flinders electorate.
This funding will provide significant improvements to a number of local roads and intersections, increasing safety for road users.
Intersections to receive funding under the Black Spot Programme include:
• The intersection of Heads Road and Caldermeade Road in Catani: $496,000 to convert the intersection to a staggered T configuration
• Intersection of Manks Road and Dalmore Road in Koo Wee Rup: $361,000 to construct a staggered T intersection
• Intersection of Tooradin Station Road and Manks Road in Tooradin: $269,000 to seal gravel road on the side road approaches to intersection and install rumble strip, signage, line marking and kerbing
• Section of McDonalds Track from Range Road to Kettles Road in Lang Lang: $119,000 to seal shoulder, seal bell mouth, upgrade signage and install guideposts
• Section of Gurdies-St Helier Road from Jade Road to 390m west of Nyora-St Helier Road in Woodleigh: $91,000 to install guideposts, edge and centre line marking and chevron alignment markers
A further four black spots in the electorate will be funded across the Mornington Peninsula.
The projects were recommended by a panel of independent road safety experts and will be delivered during the course of the 2015-16 financial year.
The $500 million national Black Spot Programme targets dangerous roads to save lives and reduce road trauma, ensuring our local roads are safer for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.
Due to its success, an additional 84 projects are to be funded in Victoria over 2015-16 and are expected to save an additional 10 lives, prevent 512 injury crashes over 10 years, and deliver economic dividends of around $169 million.
Anyone can nominate a site they believe should be considered for a safety upgrade, and we strongly encourage all councils, community groups and individuals to submit their nominations.
To nominate a black spot visit: http://investment.infrastructure.gov.au/funding/blackspots/index.asp